Tomcat is an open-source Java server environment and servlet container associated with web applications written in Java Programming. Tomcat facilitates the development of web pages on HTML, XML and other document systems.
Tomcat hosting refers to a hosting service that provides the required configuration tools for Java developers to host Java codes built for web applications that run on a Java Virtual Machine.
At HostAdvice, we reviewed some of the hosting providers on the market to ascertain the ones that meet all the technical requirements and tools to run a Java code or Tomcat JSP website or application. Our experts bought, tested and ranked the top 6 Tomcat hosting providers using our rating methodologies as well as user reviews from Java developers.
Key Points to Consider When Choosing the Tomcat Hosting Providers
- Check whether Tomcat is pre-installed or if you need to install it manually
- Choose a host that guarantees regular Java updates, mod_jk module and cPanel control panel.
- Ensure the host offers root access to control your Java server environment
- Choose a hosting provider with robust security measures to protect your Tomcat applications and data from malicious attacks.
- Look for a hosting provider that guarantees high uptime and reliability, as downtime can affect the availability of your web applications.
Here Are the Top Tomcat Hosting Providers
The Top Tomcat Hosting Providers (Bought and Tested)
Kamatera offers a cloud service that allows you to select and deploy Apache Tomcat software by choosing from a variety of configurations and more packages to suit your needs. With Kamatera, you can launch your Tomcat server with their 30 day free trial to run your Java codes. The cloud infrastructure allows you to deploy Tomcat in seconds with no commitment or setup fee required and the option to cancel any time.
- Overall Score: 4.8
- Features: 4.8
- Reliability: 5.0
- User Friendly: 4.9
- Support: 4.9
- Pricing: 4.7
Features (4.8): Kamatera offers the option to select the latest Tomcat versions from the drop down provided as well as the nearest server location to deploy your server. You will also get features like Root and Administrator access, CPU monitoring, Instant Server configuration, Solid State Drives, Advanced monitoring and automation tools, Unlimited scale-up and scale-out and more.
Reliability (5.0): This host uses state of the art data centers and guarantees 99.9% uptime SLA.
User-Friendly (4.9): Kamatera Tomcat hosting service comes with complete flexibility. You will be able to scale up/down anytime if needed plus full root access, and connection via SSH / Putty.
Support (4.9): With Kamatera, you can reach their customer help via Live chat or phone call. Plus, you can access their knowledgebase to review resources that will guide you on how to use some of their services.
Pricing (4.7): Each of the servers below have been configured to help you launch your Tomcat software on Kamatera’s cloud server. You can select the one that best suits your needs with an option to pay monthly or hourly depending on your project goal.
- Offers great backup options
- 30 day Free trial
- Guarantees 99.95% uptime SLA
- Reliable high-end data centers
- Deploys Tomcat in seconds
- Custom configuration packages
- No Setup fee
- No Free backups
With A2hosting, you can experience the power of dedicated resources and fine-tuned hosting plans that are designed to deliver unbeatable performance. The standard and turbo VPS high speed packages are tailored to your specific needs, ensuring lightning-fast response times for your Java applications. Their Tomcat hosting service delivers 20x faster performance, so you can rest assured that your Java applications will run smoothly and efficiently.
- Overall Score: 4.7
- Features: 4.7
- Reliability: 4.7
- User Friendly: 4.7
- Support: 4.7
- Pricing: 4.6
Features (4.7): A2hosting’s customized plans are developer-friendly, allowing you to choose your preferred Linux OS and reload your server with a new operating system at any time. You will also get AMD EPYC Servers, NVMe drives, SSH access, Root access, Boot shutdown and reboot control, 24/7 network monitoring,
Reliability (4.7): This host features servers in the best data centers with the latest security patches and a 99.9% uptime commitment.
User-Friendly (4.7): With 20x faster performance and dedicated resources, A2hosting is a good choice for developers who demand the best. You will also get 40x CPU performance, and a server that can handle 9x more traffic.
Support (4.7): At A2hosting, their support team is not only friendly but also highly knowledgeable, and available to assist you 24/7. They understand that issues can arise at any time, which is why their Guru team are on standby to attend to your needs.
Pricing (4.6): A2hosting have 2 types of customized VPS plans for Tomcat hosting. You can either choose their standard VPS packages or select the Turbo VPS hosting plans, which offers more dedicated resources built for 20x faster performance. Here is a breakdown of their Tomcat hosting packages:
- Runway 1: $2.99/month – 1 GB RAM, 20 GB SSD, 0.5 TB transfer, and 1 CPU cores. Renews at $8.99/month.
- Runway 2: $7.99/month – 2 GB RAM, 75 GB SSD, 2 TB transfer, and 2 CPU cores. Renews at $14.99/month.
- Runway 3: $9.99/month – 4 GB RAM, 150 GB SSD, 3 TB transfer, and 4 CPU cores. Renews at $23.99/month.
- Supersonic 8: $29.99/month – 8 GB RAM, 200 GB NVMe SSD, 4 TB transfer, and 6 CPU cores. Renews at $59.99/month.
- Supersonic 16: $59.99/month – 8 GB RAM, 300 GB NVMe SSD, 6 TB transfer, and 8 CPU cores. Renews at $99.99/month.
- Supersonic 32: $89.99/month – 8 GB RAM, 450 GB NVMe SSD, 8 TB transfer, and 10 CPU cores. Renews at $139.99/month.
- Tomcat Pre installed
- 3X Faster Read/Write Speeds
- 40% Faster CPU Performance
- Hassle-free money-back guarantee
- 20x faster turbo servers
- Root access to edit server files
- Supports Linux OS
- AMD EPYC Servers with NVMe drives
- The hosting package prices are cheap only for long-term commitments.
Interserver provides three types of VPS hosting plans – Linux VPS, Storage VPS, and Windows VPS. As Tomcat is a Java-based application, it’s best to choose the Linux VPS plan to ensure compatibility with the software. Before installing Tomcat, ensure that Java is installed on your VPS server. With Interserver, you can choose and customize your server resources on the VPS cloud and pay for what you need to deploy and maintain your server.
- Overall Score: 4.4
- Features: 4.4
- Reliability: 4.4
- User Friendly: 4.4
- Support: 4.3
- Pricing: 4.5
Features (4.4): This host provides powerful features that guarantee lightning-fast speeds for your web applications. You will get features like self-healing hardware, dedicated resources, Hyper-v virtualization platform, KVM, Remote backup service, and root access.
Reliability (4.4): To ensure you experience ultra-fast speeds, Interserver runs the latest server optimization and security technology. They also partner with Cloudflare to utilize their global network of caching data centers to guarantee industry-leading time of 99.9% uptime of service and content delivery for your web applications.
User-Friendly (4.4): They provide full control to access your files, folders, and databases to install the control panel and OS.
Support (4.3): With Interserver, you can contact their dedicated support team to help you resolve any issue you might have. They are available 24/7 via live chat and phone support.
Pricing (4.5): To customize your VPS server resources for hosting Tomcat, you can use the toggle button shown in the screenshot below. This allows you to select the required CPU cores, memory, storage, and bandwidth transfer.
- High-performance SSD storage
- 99.9% uptime commitment
- Remote backup service
- Epic support via live chat, Facebook, email and phone.
- Low renewal rates
- Top-notch security with virtualization platforms
- Supports multiple OS.
- The Live chat support is not responsive
- USA-only data centers
Hostinger offers a VPS hosting solution built for Linux OS. Each VPS is equipped with enough processing power to handle even the most demanding workloads, running on powerful servers with the latest Intel Xeon processors, terabytes of NVMe SSD storage, and a whopping 512 GB of RAM. With Hostinger’s VPS service, you can rest assured that your Tomcat hosting needs will be met with top-of-the-line hardware and unparalleled flexibility. You can check out how to install Tomcat on Hostinger.
- Overall Score: 4.6
- Features: 4.6
- Reliability: 4.6
- User Friendly: 4.7
- Support: 4.7
- Pricing: 4.6
Features (4.6): Hostinger’s Linux VPS plans come with full control and root access, allowing you to easily configure your hosting environment and install Tomcat to host your Java applications. You will also get other features like weekly backups, dedicated IP address, AI powered firewall, advanced DDoS protection, BitNinja’s full-stack server protection and more.
Reliability (4.6): Hostinger’s VPS hosting solution boasts a 99.9% uptime guarantee and multiple data centers that ensure fast and powerful Tomcat hosting performance.
User-Friendly (4.7): With multiple VPS hosting plans available to host Tomcat, users can easily scale up when they need more resources.
Support (4.7): Hostinger’s VPS hosting solution offers 24/7 technical support via live chat, tutorials, knowledgebase, blog, and Hostinger Academy, making it easy for users to get the help they need whenever they need it.
Pricing (4.6): Hostinger’s VPS hosting plans, which come in 8 customizable options, provide affordable and flexible pricing for users who want to host their online Java apps with Tomcat hosting. Here is a breakdown of Hostinger’s VPS plans, which can also be helpful for developers looking to host Tomcat.
- VPS 1: $3.99/month – 1 GB RAM, 20 GB SSD disk space, 1 TB bandwidth, and 1 core. Renews at $8.99/month.
- VPS 2: $5.99/month – 2 GB RAM, 40 GB SSD disk space, 2 TB bandwidth, and 2 core. Renews at $12.99/month.
- VPS 3: $7.99/month – 3 GB RAM, 60 GB SSD disk space, 3 TB bandwidth, and 3 core. Renews at $19.99/month.
- VPS 4: $10.99/month – 4 GB RAM, 80 GB SSD disk space, 4 TB bandwidth, and 4 core. Renews at $29.99/month.
- Scalable VPS hosting plans
- Automated backups and Live snapshots
- Multiple data centers
- Full root access
- Excellent performance, security, and uptime for Java applications
- Users who are not experienced with server administration may find the setup process and maintenance more challenging.
- VPS hosting plans are slightly more expensive than other competitors
LiquidWeb’s managed VPS hosting plans provide an affordable and scalable solution for hosting and deploying Tomcat. Once you have selected your managed VPS hosting plan, you need to set up your VPS server. The LiquidWeb team will take care of the initial server setup and installation of the operating system, but you will need to configure Tomcat and any other software you need to run on the server. With root-level access and Cloudflare CDN, you can have complete control over your server environment and ensure optimal performance for your web applications.
- Overall Score: 4.6
- Features: 4.6
- Reliability: 4.7
- User Friendly: 4.6
- Support: 4.6
- Pricing: 4.4
Features (4.6): LiquidWeb VPS plans perform exceptionally well to host Tomcat, as their servers offer faster loading times and improved user experience compared to other major VPS hosting options.
Reliability (4.7): This host offers 100% Network and Power Uptime SLA guaranteed on all routing devices deployed on their network.
User-Friendly (4.6): With LiquidWeb VPS hosting, users can experience the control of a dedicated server and the flexibility of cloud hosting, making it an easy-to-use solution for hosting Tomcat.
Support (4.6): LiquidWeb’s customer support team is one of the most helpful in hosting, available 24/7/365 to assist in finding the best hosting solutions that meet your business needs, including for Tomcat hosting.
Pricing (4.4): This host offers a range of customized VPS hosting plans that support both Linux and Windows operating systems. This makes their hosting service an affordable and competitive option for those who need to host Tomcat. Here is a breakdown of their VPS plans for tomcat hosting:
- 2 GB RAM: $25/month – 2 vCPU Cores, 40 GB SSD Storage and 10 TB Bandwidth.
- 4 GB RAM: $35/month – 4 vCPU Cores, 100 GB SSD Storage and 10 TB Bandwidth.
- 8 GB RAM: $45/month – 8 vCPU Cores, 150 GB SSD Storage and 10 TB Bandwidth.
- 16 GB RAM: $105/month – 8 vCPU Cores, 200 GB SSD Storage and 10 TB Bandwidth.
- Liquidweb offers a 100% uptime service level agreement (SLA)
- On-site support team is available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email
- SSAE compliant global data centers
- Fully managed hosting services
- Liquidweb’s VPS starting prices can be more expensive compared to other hosting providers.
Bluehost is a well-known web hosting provider that has been offering reliable and high-quality services for several years. To deploy Java web applications using tomcat hosting, you can go for their VPS or dedicated server depending on your budget and hosting needs. The VPS comes with SSD storage and includes features like SSH access which allow you to install Tomcat.
- Overall Score: 2.9
- Features: 2.9
- Reliability: 2.8
- User Friendly: 2.9
- Support: 2.8
- Pricing: 3.0
Features (2.9): Bluehost offer robust features such as root access, resource monitoring, and scalable resources that are suitable for hosting tomcat. You will also get additional features like Multi server management, Unlimited bandwidth, and Tomcat software.
Reliability (2.8): With Bluehost, you will get VPS plans that are highly reliable for hosting tomcat, as they use SSD storage, multi-layered security, and server monitoring to ensure uptime and performance.
User-Friendly (2.9): Bluehost VPS plans are user-friendly for hosting tomcat, as they come with a user-friendly control panel and easy-to-use tools that simplify the setup and management of tomcat applications.
Support (2.8): This host offers reliable and responsive support for hosting tomcat, with 24/7 customer support and expert technical assistance available via phone, email, and chat.
Pricing (3.0): Bluehost VPS plans are competitively priced for hosting tomcat, with affordable monthly rates and the option to scale up or down resources as needed, providing flexibility and 50% cost savings. Here is a breakdown of their VPS plans for hosting tomcat.
- Standard: $19.99/month – 2 Cores, 30 GB SSD Storage, 2 GB RAM, 1 TB Bandwidth and 1 IP Address. Renews at $39.99/month.
- Enhanced: $29.99/month – 2 Cores, 60 GB SSD Storage, 4 GB RAM, 2 TB Bandwidth and 2 IP Address. Renews at $59.99/month.
- Ultimate: $59.99/month – 4 Cores, 120 GB SSD Storage, 8 GB RAM, 3 TB Bandwidth and 2 IP Address. Renews at $119.99/month.
- Multi server management
- Access control and root access
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Dedicated power and resources
- Some features, such as automatic backups, are only available on more expensive plans.
- The renewal prices can be significantly higher than the initial signup prices.
Tomcat Hosting Providers – Final Recommendation
When choosing a tomcat hosting provider, it is important to consider several key parameters to ensure you get the best possible hosting experience.
- Look for a provider that offers a reliable and fast hosting service with high uptime guarantees and fast loading times.
- Consider the level of technical support and expertise the provider offers, as this can be crucial in resolving any issues that may arise.
- Check the provider’s reputation, customer reviews, and track record to ensure they have a good history of providing quality hosting services.
Once you choose a suitable tomcat hosting provider, the next step is installing and hosting your Java applications. This can be done easily with most hosting providers, as they typically offer easy-to-use control panels and tools for installing and managing Tomcat. Simply log in to your hosting account, locate the tomcat installation tool, and follow the prompts to install tomcat on your server.
Once tomcat is installed, you can deploy your Java applications to your server and serve your users with high-performance and reliable hosting. You can check the step by step on how to install Java and Tomcat later in this review.
Ranking comparison between the Top Providers
Our Ranking Methodology: How do we rank?
- User reviews30%
- Performance and reliability10%
- Types of hosting offered5%
- Customer support10%
- Site speed8%
- Bandwidth and storage3%
- Traffic volume4%
- Scaling potential4%
- Features included10%
- Ease of use4%
- Starting price4%
- Money back guarantee3%
- Other factors5%
At Hostadvice, we strive to deliver high-quality hosting reviews by constantly refining our review methodologies to ensure accuracy and relevance, helping you make informed decisions when choosing your tomcat hosting provider. Our team has compiled an overview of each host based on their tomcat hosting service, taking into account essential criteria such as features, reliability, user-friendliness, customer support, and pricing.
We recommend selecting a Tomcat hosting provider that offers SSH access for installing Tomcat and allows customization of server resources to suit individual needs. In addition, we evaluated three crucial criteria during our selection process:
- Pre-installed Tomcat or manual installation
- Tomcat version and support
- Basic hosting needs, including storage, uptime, bandwidth, and support
These criteria enabled us to identify the top six Tomcat hosting providers, providing you with an opportunity to choose the ideal host for your Tomcat hosting needs.
What is Tomcat Hosting?
Tomcat hosting allows you to deploy Java applications to a server that has Tomcat installed, providing a reliable and secure hosting service.
Tomcat is an open-source Java Servlet container that supports Java Server Pages (JSP) and Java Servlets. Hosting providers that offer Tomcat hosting typically have Tomcat pre-installed on their servers or allow for manual installation.
With Tomcat hosting, you can enjoy features such as different Tomcat versions, pre-installed Java frameworks, and custom resource allocation, providing a tailored hosting experience to meet your specific needs.
Tomcat comprises components like Jasper, Catalina, and Coyote, which work together to enable the parsing and compilation of Java server pages into Java servlet code, as well as delivery and request processing. Overall, Tomcat hosting provides a convenient and efficient platform for Java developers to host their Java applications.
Step by Step on how to Install Java and Tomcat
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how Java developers can install Tomcat and Java to host Java applications:
Step 1: Install Java
Before installing Tomcat, you need to install Java. Most hosting providers offer Java installation by default. However, if you are using a server that doesn’t have Java installed, you can follow these steps:
1.1. Download the Java Development Kit (JDK) from the Oracle website.
1.2. Install the JDK on your server. The installation process may vary depending on your operating system.
1.3. Set up the JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to the directory where you installed the JDK. You can do this by adding the following line to your server’s environment variables:
1.4. Add the JDK’s bin directory to your system’s PATH environment variable so that you can run the java command from any directory. You can do this by adding the following line to your server’s environment variables:
Step 2: Install Tomcat
Once you have installed Java, you can proceed to install Tomcat. Here are the steps to install Tomcat:
2.1. Download the latest version of Tomcat from the Apache Tomcat website.
2.2. Extract the downloaded archive to a directory on your server. For example, you can extract it to /opt/tomcat.
2.3. Set up the CATALINA_HOME environment variable to point to the directory where you extracted Tomcat. You can do this by adding the following line to your server’s environment variables:
2.4. Add the Tomcat’s bin directory to your system’s PATH environment variable so that you can run the startup.sh and shutdown.sh scripts from any directory. You can do this by adding the following line to your server’s environment variables:
Benefits of using Tomcat Hosting for Java web apps?
Here are the benefits of using Tomcat for hosting Java applications:
- Tomcat is known for its strong security features, which can help protect your web applications from attacks and vulnerabilities.
- Tomcat is an open-source web server and servlet container available for free.
- Tomcat is designed to provide a pure Java HTTP environment for running Java web applications.
- Tomcat is designed to be easy to configure and run, making it a great option for developers new to web application development.
How Should you Choose your Tomcat Hosting Provider?
Before choosing a tomcat hosting provider, consider the following factors to ensure you get the best hosting experience.
Performance and reliability:
- Does the tomcat host provide a pre-installed tomcat or allow manual installation?
Consider the setup time, technical expertise needed to get your server up and running, and the tomcat version available. Pre-installed tomcat can save time and effort, while newer versions may offer better performance and security features.
- Does the host provide the latest tomcat version and support?
You should check if the host offers the Tomcat version in JDK, MySQL, and PostgreSQL and support for Java frameworks like Java servlet, JSF, Struts, Hibernate, and Spring. Having the latest version and support for various frameworks can ensure compatibility with the latest technologies.
- Will the host refund users or have a refund policy in place?
You should look for a host with a transparent refund policy, as it can protect your savings and investment. A money-back guarantee can also provide peace of mind and allow you to try the service before committing long-term.
- Will the host provide the basic hosting needs required to deploy Java apps?
Before choosing a host, you should ensure that it provides certain basic hosting features and resources, from storage to uptime, bandwidth, level of support, and root access or control. This can ensure that your Java apps run smoothly and efficiently.
- Does the host have the technical support team to address any issue you might have?
You should check if the host provides a certain level of support to help resolve any issue on Live chat, phone, email, and other supports like a knowledgebase, and academy to provide guidelines on how to use their hosting services. Good customer support can provide quick and effective solutions to any technical problems.
- Does the host have enough reputation in terms of quality of service delivery?
Reading feedback and reviews can provide valuable insights into a host’s quality of service delivery. You should look for a host with positive reviews and a good track record of providing reliable hosting services. Factors to look out for when evaluating the track record of a specific host include the uptime and reliability of their servers, the quality of service delivery and some of the positive feedback provided by previous users.
You can also read more reviews on Hostadvice to check user reviews and see what other users recommend for tomcat hosting.